Tuesday, August 20, 2013

More Blueberries

Dehydrating Blueberries

Making blueberry cookies didn't make much of a dent in my giant stash of blueberries in the fridge, so I thought I'd pull out the dehydrator and dry some up for snacking.

There are several ways to dry blueberries in a dehydrator - it just depends on what you want the end result to be. You can simply wash them and set them drying and you will end up with something like a mini blueberry chip.

Most sources recommend that you dip them in a hot water bath first to soften and break the skin. This will result in blueberries that are soft and chewy like raisins.

First, I put a pot of water on the stove to boil, and prepared an ice bath to cool them and stop the cooking process.

Once the water was boiling, I dumped the blueberries into the hot water and let them sit for about a minute. Then I scooped them out with a slotted spoon and let them soak in the cold water for another minute or so. (if you have a metal mesh strainer, you can dip the entire strainer into the hot, then cold water.) 

I then spooned the berries out on my dehydrator trays, being careful to keep the berries spread out.


I turned on the dehydrator to 135 degrees and am now waiting until tomorrow to try them out.


No comments:

Post a Comment